Friday, June 08, 2007

Rounding the Mark


I just finished a new work called "Rounding the Mark", about the sailboat races on Charlotte Harbor.
In Hurricane Charley, my beautiful Skipjack ketch (4 red sails) was destroyed by a neighbors' flying roof.
Many boats were lost and the races ended for a time. Our harbor turned black........from all the debris of our destroyed homes and businesses. But we cleaned the harbor, rebuilt our homes, and the races are back on Firday evenings. I figure, after 3 years, we have finally "Rounded the Mark".

The quilt is large, 60" X 63". It is mostly several different kinds of silks that I have hand-dyed along with cheesecloth, knit, chenille, etc that I have also hand dyed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sally L. Smith said...

Oh, wow, this is gorgeous. Good for you. Sally (quiltart list)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

That is really a marvelous quilt. The story behind it is inspiring. The cheesecloth is so clever for the sails.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hi- I just read Gwen's post about your QA problems, and want to give you a high five on your thought processes and way of handling the tsunami that followed. No one has the right to tell any of us what we can and can't do with our art, but when an outsider interferes with a heartfelt message you are trying to work through, it's just unacceptable. Keep up your good work, ignore the insufferables! And write and tell me where you are in South FL! I'm in Jupiter 6 months (guess which 6 months!)

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home